It’s so nice to have a beautiful website. It feels like
owning your own home and gives you a chance to drive traffic from all over the
web to it. You can utilize retargeting, get people in your store with different
promotions and adjust on the fly as you see fit. You do not have to adhere to
anyone’s rules and regulations because it’s your site. However, there are a few
drawbacks as well and that needs to be taken into consideration as you get
started with your business and building your online presence.
Whether you have an established business, a startup or
whatever, you may have an interest in building a great new website. That makes
sense but never do it at the cost of sales you could be making now. Here are
some of the reasons you do not want to pay for that site right now:
- Expensive: It doesn’t matter if it’s just a 5-page site or an ecommerce one, it’s going to cost you a lot of money to get it built, especially a quality one. If you are strapped for cash right now, either because you are a startup or because business is slow, don’t do it, your money can be better spent elsewhere.
- It takes time: The best web designers in the market will need months, not days, to complete this project. If you do not currently have a site up, you cannot afford to wait that long.
- Maintenance Fees: Plugins, updates, maintenance fees, certificates and new programs will all add up to the monthly cost of maintaining the site. You have to factor those into your monthly budget.
- Limited marketing budget: Marketing is the only way you are going to be able to get consumers to your site and if you do not have money to spend on marketing, the greatest site in the world isn’t going to help you. That’s why you need to save now so that you can build sales up first.
- Too many trusted platforms out there: We are not telling you not to have a website, we are telling you not to spend thousands of dollars into having a website. Instead, take a look at options like Shopify, Amazon stores, Facebook marketplace, eBay and more. All of these platforms are great, and you can utilize them all together to expand your reach, have multiple online stores and sites, save money for marketing and reach consumers.
Everyone is different but if you are not moving forward with
an unlimited bank account then you need to know where and when to spend your
money. These reasons are why you should hold off on getting that flashy new
site for now.