Marketing works, even if it didn’t work with you. One of the
most common mistakes business owners make is that they go with an agency that
offers 3-5 services. A real agency will offer everything you need including
over a dozen services that will get you in front of the audience over and over
again. We’ve discussed the different services and how they can each benefit
you. However, what we’ve rarely discussed is how you made the wrong choice or
what happened during a campaign that caused you to not see results.
When selecting your next marketing service, there’s a chance you will select the wrong one. Here are some reasons why:
- Limited agency: You may have a good relationship with your web designer, but that doesn’t mean they are the right person to take over your digital marketing. If you want to hire the right team, the first thing to look at is their experience with over a dozen services, that way they can help you create the right plan for you, not just the plan they can execute based on their capabilities.
- Poor budget: Sometimes it’s not the service, it’s the budget. Google AdWords is a great example of this. If you want to market yourself on Google against major competitors, do not expect to get results if the competition is spending $5,000 or more a month and your budget is less than $2,000.
- Not enough search volume: Whether it’s PPC or SEO, you have to make sure that you also look at the search volume for your services and products. For example, if you sell something that helps car dealerships help their customers find cars on their lot, that’s something that is great and can benefit the dealership. However, the search volume for that isn’t going to be very high so why focus on serious keywords?
- Unrealistic expectations: Any campaign has to begin with realistic expectations. For example, if you send out an email campaign to 100,000 consumers who have never heard of you before, you need to understand that there’s a small chance you will see sales. However, if you start the campaign being aware that this is mainly for branding, especially in the first few sends, then you will have set realistic expectations.
- Not the right time: Why oh why do you send out an email campaign at 11 am on a Tuesday? Because statistically that’s when you see higher open rates and clicks? Yes, that’s true and that’s what we’ve been told but major corporations send out their emails and social media ads either in the middle of the night or first thing in the morning because, while the opens and clicks may be smaller, they have a better chance of getting sales.
- You do not have a Google presence: It doesn’t matter what you are running, if you skip having a Google presence with SEO and Google Business Listings, people will not buy from you because you come off as a company with no presence.
- Too specific a promotion: You want to target people who love to travel and show them information about your hotel in Orlando, Florida. Great. Unfortunately, of the 100,000 people you reached, only 1,000 of them actually want to travel to Orlando. Do not get too specific with your targeting if the data isn’t there to support it.
- Poor targeting options: Continuing with this point, you cannot send ads to people who are not interested or wouldn’t have an interest in what you are offering. If you cannot accurately target and reach an audience, do not waste your time or money.
These are just some of the reasons why you picked the wrong
marketing service. If you want to see better results, make sure you are picking
the right ones in order to be more successful.